You can never be too prepared. Organising your gear for Oxfam Trailwalker is no small task. But we are here to help
Below we've provided some tips to help you simplify the process.
Number one tip: Sort it out during training, not on the day!
Listen to past participants. Here are some points to keep in mind before starting the Oxfam Trailwalker.
1) Weather: Prepare for all weather conditions and the varying terrain. The weather can change dramatically during the course of the event — from cold to hot, wet to dry, etc
2) Test everything: Plan and test what you'll wear and carry during training. Don't try something new at the event!
3) Travel light: Leave heavy and spare gear (and food) with your support crew
4) Night light: Travelling at night can be the toughest part of the event. Use a head torch to keep your hands free for balance, and don't compromise on the power of the light. A wide, strong beam will help you stay emotionally and mentally strong.
5) Clothing: Be prepared for your clothing to get wet from either sweat or rain. Choose lightweight, breathable clothes that dry quickly, and carry extra clothing with you or your support crew for when you need a change.
6) Footwear: Wear a good pair of hiking shoes, boots or trail running shoes. Make sure they're well broken-in before the event by wearing them on practice walks. Don't wear new shoes for the event!
7) Socks: Just as important as your shoes! They must fit your feet. Don't get them a size too big or too thick for your shoes. Good-quality running socks should have all of these features.
8) Daypack: Keep it small, light and comfortable. Remember that you only have to carry enough gear, food and water to get you from one checkpoint to the next. That's why you have a support crew!
9) Walking poles: At least one set per team is advisable. You never know when a weary or injured team member will need the support that these poles provide.
10) Mandatory gear: First aid kit. Make sure you have all required supplies in your kit as specified in the event rules.
Disclaimer: Please note that the products mentioned are to illustrate activities and the change that your donation can make to the lives of marginalized and vulnerable people. Oxfam India, based on the need on the ground, will allocate resources to areas that need funds the most.